Friday, March 11, 2011

3 questions with Grandma T

My Grandma T (mom to Patti and JPT) agreed to be the first in what I hope will be a series of three question "interviews" with Timbies.


Grandma T and AT
 Question 1: Can you share a memory of Patti?

Patti's animals were the center of her world during her illness, especially her horse, Badger.  He was a mustang trained to be a school horse at a nearby riding stable. Patti learned to ride on Badger and became very fond of him because he had such wonderful gates.  Later, when we moved to Hamilton and had a barn, Patti asked his owner if she could buy Badger.  She was told she could have any horse in the barn, except Badger, because he was such a valuable school horse.  Badger was gentle and safe for a rank beginner, yet could give an experienced rider a good ride.  Finally his owner relented and let Patti buy Badger.   For three years Patti rode him all along the trails in town and even over to Crane's Beach.  She gave up only when her illness had progressed so that she was no longer able to keep her balance. After that we got a pony cart and a mule for her to drive until that too became too difficult to continue.  Badger is buried at Ledgard Farm. 
Patti in the barn at Hamilton


And driving around Hamilton
Question 2: When did you suspect that Garrett had FA?

I think I suspected Garrett had FA, or something like it, early on.  He developed the classic FA unstable gate when he was about four.  He held his head down when he walked and I noticed his arms moved with a jerky motion. I had watched Patti's illness slowly develop and the similarities between her symptoms and Garrett's were inescapable.  However, I kept my thoughts to myself, even when Garrett's parents were talking about Gillian Barre or other causes. 

AT, Garrett, and a kitten, 1986
Question 3: Can you share an experience of working with FARA?

The Advocate has been a great source of information about FA for me.  FARA's expanded research and clinical trials have encouraged me to believe that sooner or later there will be helpful drugs and treatments, or an eventual cure for this devastating disease.  Although it was too late for Patti, I know Garrett has participated in several clinical trials.  I contribute to FARA regularly and will continue to do so. 

Garrett at Ride Ataxia, October 2010
Thanks Grandma T!  I'm looking forward to seeing you marathon weekend!


Visiting Grandma T on Cape Cod, 1988
Editor's note: The Advocate is FARA's newsletter.  It's a terrific resource and provides regular updates on FARA-supported research, scientific news, and fundraising efforts. You can read the Winter 2010/2011 issue here.  Maybe Sunnyvale-to-Boston will make the Spring edition?

2 comments:

Janet Timbie said...

CMT's form with the putter is a little unorthodox, but I guess it worked.

Karin said...

Timbie gals, please bring back the Bermuda shorts. Thanks.