Friday, February 25, 2011

Guest blogger CMT

This picture is a good example of our childhood; I'd think up something silly to do and CMT was always more than happy to go along!  And she's still my biggest supporter and faithful sidekick: my Ironman sherpa, Boston hostess, and now guest blogger. Little sisters are awesome!

Team T
Like AT, I learned about FA through our aunt Patti and cousin Garrett.  I was only 2 or 3 at the time, so I have fewer memories of visiting Patti when she lived in Boston.  But we share lots of memories of adventures with Garrett and our Timbie cousins, like attempting to remove a hornet's nest from our grandmother's house by throwing stuff at it from a nearby window.  As the youngest cousins, AT and I were given the job of retrieving the things thrown out the window. 
Sticking together on Cape Cod with Grandma T
Sticking to a train with our cousins, 1990
I learned about FARA when I was in high school, working as an intern in their Arlington office. I was very lucky to get the chance to learn from people who knew so much about scientific research in FA. On my first day, I met investigators working on clinical trials of potential FA treatments. They calculated that since I was graduating high school in 2002, I would be done with med school in 2010 and come back to work on the next round of trials. Ten years later, I'm not quite on track with their projections (but I'm getting there!), while their trials have progressed rapidly. FARA helps support these efforts by funding grants for research related to FA, matching trials with patients, and organizing scientific conferences to spread new ideas and data within the FA research community.
Still on schedule, 2002
What impressed me most at FARA was how much is known about FA, and what an active area of research it is. The gene product and its biochemical pathways are being investigated, and clinical trials and translational research have begun. The FARA website has an excellent summary of the current state of research on FA, available here. Though effective treatments for FA remain elusive, incredible progress is being made, even with me taking too long to finish med school.

Finally, thank you to AT for sharing your race with us and raising money for FARA. Your training summaries make my entire body hurt, but they've been inspirational / aspirational when I'm trying to motivate myself to run in 20 degree weather.  
CMT says Boston is for runners!
Jenny's Light 10K Contest Reminder!

Are you going to let CMT just walk away with the 10K time prediction prize?  Enter your guess back here.

1 comment:

Karin said...

Love the photos!! I remember Anna's sailboat sweatshirt like she sported it yesterday, sniff.

Hearts to the Timbie runners/bloggers!