Monday, February 28, 2011

Rare Disease Day! And updates

Today is World Rare Disease DayFARA will join organizations around the world in observation as millions of patients and their families share their stories to bring attention to rare diseases as an important global health concern.
"Rare disease research benefits more than a singular disease population. It also lends insights into more common diseases. At FARA, we believe collaboration leads us to results quicker. Acting alone there is very little any of us can accomplish. Acting together, there is very little we will not accomplish.”
~ FARA President, Ron Bartek
Marathon training update

Tuesday - 7 miles on the track with TRIbe
                warm up, drills, stadiums, strides
                3 x 800m, 3 x 400m, 3 x 200m descending pace with distance
                cool down, core, stretch
Thursday - 8 miles on trails (Baylands) plus drills and strides
Friday - 5 miles on the roads (Sunnyvale)
Sunday - 20 miles on the Los Gatos Creek trail.  Garmin data here.

The highlight of the training week was the post-long run recovery dinner with JPT.  He was in town for 36 hours to meet with a group at the Hoover Institution.  He gets a lot of requests from NGO's working in arms control and non-proliferation, but only seems to accept invitations in the Bay Area or Boston.  Those Stanford guys really ought to thank me!
Good food


Good company
February fundraising update

When I created my page on the Team FARA site, I had to set a fundraising target.  I chose $2620 because it's a multiple of the marathon distance and it sounded like a lot of money to me.  And after 2 months, we've raised $2795!  Every time someone donates through the website I get this notification email:
"Congratulations! Someone has decided to sponsor you in your participation in Team FARA!"
Those words make my day!  THANK YOU!  Seven weeks to go!

Payback

CMT was mad that I posted her high school graduation picture last week.  Even though she looks adorable!  Fair is fair, here's a picture of me and my dear old friend JPS (she was only JP back then!) on our graduation day in 1998.
Happy to be done with high school!
 Am I forgiven CMT?

2 comments:

CMT said...

Those giant blue robes are a tough look... but still better than orange and overalls :)

Karin said...

Love the pics! And yeah on your amazing fundraising!!!